HOW I SPENT HALF DAY IN YANKEE


I was called upon that morning to lead. Of course, I knew the trip was scheduled for that day but it was raining heavily, I couldn’t step my feet out. I eventually decided to pass through the flooded streets.

     Finally, I was at the airport. I was a bit late.
Sitting in the plane gave me goose bumps being my first, I saw different faces, different tribes and the ones we call “oyinbo babies”. Then I started imagining myself in a world I’ve longed for. I couldn’t sleep in the plane not until I was offered a red hood-cardigan, I felt like an adult red riding hood. I so much loved the cardigan and as at me taking selfies with it, we were asked to switch off our cell phones. I looked at the female flight attendant with anger because the selfie was actually what I was aiming at. I had no other choice than to sleep; I was not feeling convenient, sleeping on the air? I asked myself, what if something happens. But I had to, while I dreamt of “buy me chocolate” “buy me chocolate” “buy me designers” requests booked. Those requests got me up.
Alas! We’ve landed.

     I came down from the plane. I felt so cold at first, and then it started raining snow. Just like that? I wondered. This is a welcome shower I had thought. The sky smiled “Welcome to Yankee”, as I was trying to pick the snow as it dropped I remembered it wasn’t Nigeria where new things amazes us. I noticed the white lady standing beside me was staring at me, I smiled (with full teeth) and I left. Nobody came to pick me, what brought me to Yankee? I couldn’t remember. I was not familiar with what most people were saying, sounded as if they were talking with their tongue, all I heard seemed parables.
Do I really belong here?
I didn’t mind those thoughts. Aside that, those selfies were uncountable. Those airplane people thought they could stop me “I’m from Nigeria mehnn”, like I heard a white man used 'mehnn' at every statement. My Samsung tab camera was dope.
I was busy taking pictures of tall buildings, and beautiful statues. I was about stretching my legs when I saw a path I could trail. I’m here to stay, I had imagined. While I was trailing this path, I saw a chocolate creamed cake; it looked so attractive in what we are fond of calling “show glass” in Nigeria. I thought this would be so good to offer to my friends who had requested for sweet things and chocolates. While I was admiring, I was stretching my left leg, like I had cramps. I kept stretching. I was about popping my hands into the cake, I was so lost in thought then I saw the shop keeper coming towards me, I thought he wanted to chase me like they do where I came from. As I ran, unknowingly i smashed my face on a wet floor. ..
Opening my eyes, it seems blurry until I was able to see my brother clearly, he has been pulling my legs which I thought I was only stretching, he decided to pour water on my face when he realized I was not heeding to the pulling. He screamed ‘Aunty dolly, your phone has been ringing, the rain has stopped, you are late for work’, I quickly picked up my phone to get the update on the calls I’ve missed then the post of “I’m missing Nigeria already” popped up with 76 views. I had posted a picture of me putting on my red hood saying I was missing Nigeria earlier, yinka just texted I should get her designers, others requested for chocolates only and a friend in particular queried the post. I laughed so hard. I missed Nigeria! …no place like home.
My brother didn't allow me spend a  whole day; it was indeed a half day in Yankee.

(Ajibare Adedolapo).

So, tell me,have you ever had a dream which seemed like an amazing film?
Feel free to comment below and don't forget to always login this page for interesting thoughts and stories...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DATING OUT OF PITY

OUR FUTURE IN CHAINS

TROUBLED BY DEATH (A TRUE EXPERIENCE)